Saturday, August 3, 2019

Nancy Evelyn (Turner) Byrum

©  Kathy Duncan, 2019

This evening I was thinking that it was odd that the Bolivar, Tennessee newspapers did not note the passing of Nancy Evelyn (Turner) Byrum if she did, in fact, die in Hardeman County. I've searched for it several times and found nothing.

I decided to give it another go, but to search for it manually rather than using a search engine. Through Chronicling America, I was able to isolate the Bolivar Bulletin to the front page of each issue. Since Nancy supposedly died on 3 February 1882, I selected the 9 February 1882 issue and started reading. On page three, I found the following death notice from Clover Port:



















The search function could not locate this notice because the name Byrum is on two lines and divided with a hyphen. Now I have my answer. Nancy Evelyn (Turner) Byrum, wife of Ralph Byrum did die in Hardeman County, Tennessee in February of 1882. Additionally, I have the added information that she died of typhoid fever.

I stumbled over this notice while looking for the marriage records of Margaret Enola Byrum, daughter of Ralph and Nancy, to Thomas Jefferson Graham. I was a year off in my search because some had entered their marriage date in FamilySearch as 21 December 1881 instead of 1880. That error led to this additional bit of information. By 22 December 1881, the Byrum household was already besieged by typhoid fever with most the member will.













Notice that this article has the search engine issue as the previous notice. The name Byrum is on two lines and divided with a hyphen.

This still leaves me with questions about where Nancy was buried? My best guess is that she is buried near her parents, Andrew and Levina (Chisum) Turner. What happened to her tombstone? It has never turned up any search for a tombstone record for her in Hardeman County.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.