Sunday, September 8, 2019

Pink Kelley's Potato Wager, 1878

©  Kathy Duncan, 2019

This little newspaper clipping is interesting on several levels. First, it tells me that my great-great-grandfather Mansel Pinkney Kelley was living in the vicinity of "Shaylor Hill" in 1878. It tells me who his group of friends or frenemies were. And it relates the story of a little wager he made and lost.

Of the other men mentioned in this wager, I know that R.L. Smyrl was Robert Love Smyrl. I believe that S.T. Kelly is a misprint and probably should have been S.F. Kelly. S.F. Kelly was Singleton Frost Kelly, and he was Pink's brother.








































I from the letters that Pink Kelley wrote to my great-great-grandmother Eliza (Thompson) Kelley in 186? that he took his potatoe crop very seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.