Saturday, June 6, 2020

My Grandparents


©  Kathy Duncan, 2020


At one point, my grandparents all lived in the same small town - Avery, Texas. Some of them knew each other from a very young age. 

This is one of my favorite pictures, which I've told is too blurry to restore. My maternal grandmother, Bertha Brown, is tugging on my paternal grandfather, Fred Duncan's, tie. He was twelve, and she was about nineteen. He told me that he had a terrific crush on her and that she always teased him by calling him her "boyfriend."

This photograph captures that time in their lives perfectly. Even though it's blurry, I can see my grandmother still had long hair and a cheerful, toothsome smile, so I know that it was taken before she was stricken by the flu. I would guess this photograph is from about 1918 or 1919. 



Fred Duncan and Bertha Chapman








No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.