Saturday, March 13, 2021

Then John Bowen Died, 1838

   ©  Kathy Duncan, 2021

Normally, the probate records of a second husband of a second wife are just another rabbit hole. Still, who passes up the chance to travel down a rabbit hole? 

John Bowen was the second husband of Elizabeth who was the second wife of the Thomas Barber I am researching. When I found the inventory, appraisement, and sale of his property, I could not pass it up. After all, Joseph Barber might have turned up for the sale and purchased something. 

The sale of John Bowen's property was held on 8 March 1838, so he and Elizabeth were not married long, given that they married after the 1830 census was taken. As you can see from this snippet, Elizabeth Bowen bought interesting things at the sale like a coffee mill and five chairs and a spinning wheel. Joseph Barber did not purchase anything at the sale. However, Edward Barber did! I would be willing to bet that he was the mystery boy in Elizabeth Barber's 1830 Dooly County household. I also think he was her son. That would make him a half-brother to the Joseph Barber I am researching. And my Joseph Barber had a son named Edward Barber. 










More importantly, Edward Barber purchased 16 acres of land at the sale. More records to search! Unfortunately, in trying to do more research in Dooly County, I discovered that I could not find records from the 1838 earlier time frame. And can you guess why? If you guessed courthouse fire, you win. The Dooly County, Georgia courthouse burned on 7 May 1847 and "suffered historic record losses." 

I did find Edward Barber on the 1850 Dooly County, Georgia, census. He was born in about 1818, so he was likely the boy aged 10 to 14 on the 1830 census of Elizabeth Barber's household. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.