Saturday, September 25, 2021

Andrew Hood Follow-Up

     ©  Kathy Duncan, 2021

When exciting turns to disappointing...

The clue that Andrew Hood of Kershaw County, South Carolina had removed to Chester County, South Carolina and that his wife Elizabeth was the granddaughter of Alexander Archer seemed so very promising in my search to identify who the sister of my ancestor Richard Owens married. If his sister Elizabeth Owens had married Andrew Hood and was the granddaughter of Alexander Archer, then that would mean that Richard Owen's father Archibald Owings had married a daughter of Alexander Archer.

My search got really exciting when I found that Alexander Archer and been a near neighbor of Archibald Owings in Kershaw County before he moved to Chester County.

However, an examination of Alexander Archer's will that was filed in Chester County revealed no connections to the Owings/Owens family. None. Not one.

Alexander Archer did have at least two granddaughters named Elizabeth, probably more than two. At this time there is no reason to think that Andrew Hood married Elizabeth Owings. Instead, I think he probably married Elizabeth Archer.

That means that Andrew Hood and Richard Owens were not brothers-in-law through a connection to Richard's sister Elizabeth Owings, who married a Hood. Although if Richard Owens married Andrew Hood's sister Elizabeth, then they would be brothers-in-law. Got that? Not convoluted at all.

Another secondary source, has Elizabeth Owings married to Samuel Hood, so that needs to be followed up. Did they move to Pickens County, Alabama with the large contingent of Kershaw County, South Carolina neighbors who moved there? I'm not sure. I also found that there was a John Hood, who had a wife named Elizabeth, in Kershaw County. Is he the same John Hood who moved to Chester County? And why did all these Hood men married women named Elizabeth?! 

In any event, it's back to the drawing board for candidates for Elizabeth Owing's husband whose surname was Hood. In a roundabout way, I am hoping to figure out if Richard Owens was a brother-in-law to this Hood family. 



1 comment:

  1. I never thought about the ramifications of my paternal grandfather's family all marrying women named Helen. Actually as a child, they were all called by their maiden names (as in Aunt Black, Aunt Studer, etc.) and I guess I just thought those were their names. Now - if I had only put any of this into writing at the time.

    ReplyDelete

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.