Sunday, November 20, 2022

John Lewis - in Support of Pres. Andrew Jackson, 1834

©  Kathy Duncan, 2022

I spent a few minutes revisiting my John Lewis line this week. This article was found by searching for John Lewis's son Joel D. Lewis because I was looking for Joel's activity as a guardian for his nephews, who were the sons of his sister Celia (Lewis) Babb, wife of William Babb. Because he might have been mentioned in newspapers in Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee, I took a gamble and just ran a search of all states and used just his name. What turned up was a newspaper article in The Globe of Washington DC in 1834.  

In the preview window, I could see Joel's father John Lewis and his brother-in-law William Babb mentioned in addition to Joel D. Lewis, so I knew I had found something connected to my family. The reference to Jackson County, Alabama confirmed that this was my family. Additionally, James E. Daniel is included. He is likely to be the same James E. Daniel who witnessed John Lewis's will

This list of men reveals a couple of key pieces of information that I did not know before. First, William Babb's exact death date is unknown. He died intestate in Jackson County, Alabama, sometime in 1834 or 1835. This newspaper notice tells me that he was still alive on 28 June 1834 and was well enough to participate on this committee. It also tells me that my ancestor John Lewis was more politically active than I would have suspected. And, of course, it tells me that he was a diehard Jackson supporter.


















I have so many questions about this committee. Were they elected? Appointed? Self-appointed? Did they have other "duties"? On the most basic level, where was Kirkpatrick's Spring? It does not show up on any current maps. This article appeared on a paged filled with similar articles from states around the nation - committees that met and made resolutions in support of President Andrew Jackson and against the Bank of the United States. The Jackson County, Alabama committee made the following resolutions:






































A little research revealed that a few days before this article appeared, Jackson's nominee, Roger Taney,  for Treasury Secretary had been rejected by the Senate because of the ongoing feud with Jackson over the Bank of the United States. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.