Sunday, July 1, 2018

Joseph Mason of DeSoto County, Mississippi

© Kathy Duncan, 2018

My 4th great grandfather, Joseph Mason, died in DeSoto County, Mississippi on 14 February 1852. He is buried in Cockrum United Methodist Church Cemetery. His tombstone has a birth date of 3 March 1777, which means he was born just at the start of the Revolutionary War. His wife does not seem to have a tombstone in the same cemetery.

Based on Joseph Mason's estate records, his heirs, as of 1861, were --

1. John Mason
2. M.J. Mason, deceased
3. George W. Mason
4. James S. Nelson -- connection?
5. a daughter, wife of Richard S. Young
6. Mary Mason, a minor -- a granddaughter?
7. daughter R. J. Duke, wife of R. S.
8. Catherine Mason, wife of John E. Van Pelt
9. Ruth Mason, wife of John Lusk
10. Mary Mason, wife of Robert Kelsey
11. William Mason
13. Elizabeth Mason, wife of David Robinson

Most of these heirs were his children. Many of them married in Madison County, Alabama.

Secondary sources state that Joseph Mason married Isabel Peoples in Carter County, Tennessee, where there is a marriage for a Joseph Mason and an Isabel Peoples.




Secondary sources also place Joseph as the son of Michael Mason.

Another secondary source placed two Michael Mason's in Madison County, Alabama with one being a Methodist minister and with a father-son relationship between the two. Some of these sources also state that Michael Mason had lived previously in Burke County, North Carolina, having come from Delaware or Pennsylvania. Some sources state that Michael Mason was a Revolutionary War soldier.

Research questions:
1. Can Joseph Mason be linked to the Joseph Mason of Carter County, Tennessee?
2. Can Joseph Mason be linked to a Michael Mason?
3. Can Michael Mason be linked to Burke County, North Carolina?
4. Can Michael Mason be linked to Delaware or Pennsylvania?
5. Was Michael Mason a Revolutionary War soldier?
6. Can the two Micheal Mason's be distinguished from each other?
7. Who is Thomas Wright - marriage license of Joseph Mason and Isbel Peoples?
8. Who is young Mary Mason's guardian? Is her father another deceased son of Joseph's?

4 comments:

  1. I was delighted to find this blog and see that you and I share a 4th great grandfather, Joseph Mason. My link is through David Robinson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am even more delighted to hear from you. You are the first person I've come across who is working on this line. I've seen a deed record between Michael Mason of Burke County, NC and our Joseph Mason, so I'm thinking they will connect. What do you think? It took me decades to connect my William Mason to Joseph Mason.

      Delete
  2. I have not done research on the Mason family but I do know that Elisabeth "Betsy" Mason was married to David Robinson in Madison County AL by John Wright, JP. It Seems Wright is a name you have looked into also.
    Your William would have been the closest in age to my Elisabeth Mason too.
    David and Elisabeth had Jackson Lafayette Robinson who is buried in Plainview TX. There seems to be a group of Masons buried in the same cemetery with him.
    My 2nd grt grandfather is Charles Anderson Robinson. He died a widow in DeSoto Cty MS 1870 and left behind 4 underage children. I have not found his burial place nor his wife's. His probate file list his brother as the kids guardian. I have seen court papers where a coffin was purchased along with a coat and material at his time of death. The invoice also has the store where items were purchased. There is even a doctors bill for the month he died.
    I had been trying to confirm that Charles Anderson was married to Elizabeth BAKER not Barker. I recently had a DNA match that confirmed the Baker name. The dna related match was asking me about the Mason family. She had been trying to connect a Mason without any luck. I just recently referred her to your blog postings.
    I would love to connect the Mason, Robinson or Baker line to a revolutionary war patriot. That would give me a DAR Patriot from my paternal grandmothers side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That mystery Mason match is VERY interesting. Michael Mason Sr.'s will does not name his children. I think he had a unidentified daughter with Rebecca, but I have not been able to find her.

      Delete

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.