Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year, 2019

© Kathy Duncan, 2019




Happy New Year to you.

Last year I promised myself that I would keep better records on my blog's progress. Here are the numbers. This year's page views ended with 76, 943. There were 20,306 page views over the year. I wrote 58 new posts. 

The most popular blog posts in order of popularity:

Nathaniel Holcomb's Wife, Hannah?  This post was about searching for more information on my newly proven ancestor Nathaniel Holcomb who died in Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri prior to 1817. That search turned up an indication that his wife may have named Hannah. Early Nathaniel Holcombs are associated with women named Hannah, so this seemed strangely coincidental.

Matilda (Lewis) Mason, Daughter of John Lewis  This post is really more about John Lewis than his daughter Matilda (Lewis) Mason. At long last, I found documentation that Matilda's father was John Lewis. This is the same John Lewis who purportedly married Susan Daniels and died in Hardin County, Tennessee. Documentation, however, reveals that he died in McNairy County, Tennessee and that he had a second wife. At this time, there is no documentation for Susan Daniels, but John Lewis and family have heavy interaction with the Daniels and DeSpain families. My feeling is John Lewis was not in Pulaski County, Kentucky. Will need to put my Lewis, DeSpain, and Daniels research together in the new year. In any event, this was a breakthrough in one of my major brick walls. Last year's big brick wall breakthrough was locating Matilda's father-in-law Joseph Mason.

Nathaniel Holcomb of Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri  This was my other major breakthrough of the year. I was able to successfully link my ancestor Azariah Holcomb to his father Nathaniel Holcomb. Nathaniel died prior to 1817, and Titus Strickland became the guardian of Nathaniel's younger children. Because Azariah's siblings were already successfully linked, I was able to connect the younger children to Nathaniel. Now the identity of their mother needs to be revealed. I suspect, but cannot prove, that Nathaniel Holcomb is Nathaniel VI, son of Nathaniel Holcomb V and wife Hannah Holcomb - a daughter of Deacon Azariah and Hannah (Loomis) Holcomb.

The Heirs of John Kelly of Kershaw County, SC  This research revealed a previously unknown daughter of John Kelly which led to information about a new set of grandchildren. I think that this will enable me to strengthen the link between John Kelly and his father John Kelly Sr. of Fairfield District, South Carolina. This unknown daughter was a huge surprise. This side of my family has the strongest oral tradition, but no information about this particular daughter was passed down in the family.

May the new year lead to breakthroughs in your brick walls!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.