Sunday, September 22, 2019

John W. Selph's Letter of Condolence, 1936

©  Kathy Duncan, 2019

My husband's cousin Marcella Dymale recently found this letter while sorting through her mother's things. It is a letter of condolence from John Williams Selph to his niece Andrea Selph upon the occasion of her father Iley Nunn Selph's death on 7 October 1935 in Taos, New Mexico. Another brother of J.W. Selph's, Duncan Hyder Selph, had died on 4 September 1934 in Aztec, San Juan County, New Mexico. These Selph brothers were the sons of Rev. Duncan Hyder and Lavinia (Burton) Selph. At this point on January 4, 1936, John W. Selph was their last surviving child.

Evidently, Andrea had written to John W. Selph to inform him of the death of his two brothers. The letter indicates that the two sides of the family were at least sporadically still in touch with each other. In 1930 John W. Selph was the Superintendent of Oldham County, Kentucky schools.

























Transcript:

January 4, 1936

Miss Andrea Selph,
Ranchos de Taos, New Mexico,

My Dear Niece:

Your recent letter telling me of the death of your father, my dear brother Iley, came duly to hand.

By the same means I learn for the first time of the death of my brother Duncan H. Selph.

I hardly know how to express my sorrow or sympathy for your families in this bereavement.

Your Uncle Duncan was older than I and I had seen very little of him.

But your father, our youngest brother, was as a child under my care and a friendship developed far more intimate and dear than usually exist between brothers, being much younger than I am our relations were more of an older advisor on my part and I came near to feel for him that love and affection that I hold for my own children.

Please extend to your dear mother and other members of your family sincere sympathy in which your Aunt Annie joins.

When you can, write me more in detail regarding yourself and family.

Wishing you and yours the best of blessings, I am

Your affectionate Uncle,
John W. Selph

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.