Sunday, August 2, 2020

Leaving No Stone Unturned

©  Kathy Duncan, 2020

After learning that my John Kelley Jr. lived near Lewis Ciples in Kershaw County, South Carolina and that he left a wallet he found in 1821 at the Ciples plantation for its owner to reclaim, I ordered A Wateree River Plantation Journal: "Rosny" from 1815 by Joan Inabinet. It is the plantation journal of Lewis Ciples, kept form 1815 until his death in 1836.

























I had wondered if John Kelley Jr might have been employed by Ciples. Since he is not named in Ciples' journal, I can conclude that he was not employed by Ciples and made no purchases from Ciples. There is a reference to a "Mr. Williams" who made a small purchase of a bushel of corn. Since I know that my ancestor, Lawrence Williams, was heavily indebted at that time, I need to go back and see if Ciples is mentioned in any of the documents connected to him.

Joan A. Inabinet not only transcribed the journal, but she also annotated it. Through her annotations, I've learned that other planters in the area kept journals, and there may be some surviving store ledgers. Plus, there is the tantalizing hint of a minute book for the Flat Rock Baptist Church. Now to figure out how to access them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.