Sunday, September 26, 2021

The Camera Never Lies

      ©  Kathy Duncan, 2021

This is my pride and joy. It's a solar enlargement or crayon enlargement of my great-great-grandparents, Isaac and Susan Poindexter (Reese) Duncan. Prior to her marriage to Isaac Duncan, Susan was married to Anson Hodges. 

Like many owners of one of these enlargements, I had never seen the original photograph from which it was made. Was the original actually two photographs or one? 

A few years ago, I saw another solar enlargement that was supposed to be of Isaac and Susan, but the woman looked very different. She was much older and the enlargement had been damaged and repaired so that the left side of her face (the viewer's right) looked droopy and the eye was very odd looking. While I was sure that the man in the photograph was Isaac Duncan, I did not recognize the woman as being Susan. 

This is the solar or crayon enlargement: 








Last week, Becky Roseman, a distant cousin of mine emailed a photograph of Isaac and Susan to me. After being able to see the original photograph and comparing it to the enlargement, I can see all the liberties that the artist took with the enlargement.

They both look much younger. In fact, Susan looks fifteen to twenty years younger with smoother, firmer skin. Part of this is due to their darker coloring. 

I've also realized that the other enlargement that I saw was a more accurate rendering of the original below: 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.