Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Editing a Record on Family Search

    ©  Kathy Duncan, 2023

Recently, I discovered that I had misidentified my ancestor John Lewis on the 1830 census of Jackson County, Alabama because his name had been incorrectly transcribed by a Family Search indexer. Once the mistake a mistake like that is found it can be corrected by editing the entry.

Here is how the mistranscribed entry looked -












John Lewis had been indexed as John "Seuss," making him impossible to find since the two names are not the same phonetically. It is possible to edit this entry.

In the image index window, there is a page icon. Click on it.








A full page for John Seuss opens up with an edit button below his name. This, I believe, only happens when you use the new version of Family Search.











Click on the edit button and select make a new edit. 














Then click the "select a field" button. The field that I have the option to edit on this particular record his the name, which is what I want to edit.















My next step is to replace Seuss with Lewis. Highlight Lewis on the census page very carefully so that it is still readable. Then select a reason for the edit and save.























 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.