Monday, June 3, 2019

Henry Lewis Letter 1871

©  Kathy Duncan, 2019

On 24 March 1871, Henry Lewis, of Jackson County, Alabama, wrote a letter to his niece, Jane Catherine (Babb) Bryant, with the details concerning the contents of his father John D. Lewis's will and the circumstances surround the purchase of land for Elizabeth (Lewis) Babb. Green B Babb, her husband, acted as her agent, purchasing the land with his her share of the John D. Lewis estate. John D. Lewis died in McNairy County, Tennessee in about 1842, and his property was auctioned there.

This letter is part of the evidence in the lawsuit that Elizabeth (Lewis) Babb's children brought against their step-mother, Mary Jane (Broom) Lewis Fitzpatrick.


























Woodville Jackson Co Ala     March the 24/1871

Dear Neice I will now
try to answer your kind letter of Feb 24th
which was some time on the way but came
at last   thinking that you are more anxious
to know all that I can tell you of the contents
of my Fathers will I will tell you that first
I know that he made a will and that he did
It in my presence and appointed Joel. D. Lewis
and my-self executors to the will and we filed
the will in Purdy McNairy Co Tenn and also
filed a copy of it in Bellefonte Ala and it
was destroyed in time of war we also filed
a certificate from the county clerk of court McNairy
Co in Jacinto the will stated that there was
to be sufficient amount set apart for
the education of my half Sister Emily
after the debts were paid my father willed
my oldest brother Wiley five dollars, then the
widow my Step mother was to have a choice

of a childs part or a dowry  She took a



























childs part  the ballance of his property he
willed to his children and their heirs and at the
sale of my fathers land Green Babb your Father
said that he had no interest in but his wife your
own mother authorized him to bid for the land
she was standing close by and said yes I authorize
him to bid for me and your Father bought some
of the land and we charged it to her
and she took the land out of her part of the
estate and we managed the property just as
my father willed it, and if you see
proper to have my deposition taken
Henry Dillard or Frank Cotton either one
or both would be very suitable men
they both live in Woodville which is near
me and if you do have that done you and
your husband come to see us we live in
two miles of Woodville you could come that
near on the railroad we would be glad
to see you hope you will excuse this imperfect
letter and let me hear

from you again  Your Unkle Henry Lewis

(Exhibit B)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.