Monday, June 3, 2019

Will of John Lewis by Joel D Lewis

©  Kathy Duncan, 2019

The will of John Lewis seems to exist only has a copy filed in a lawsuit brought by his Babb grandchildren against their step-mother in McNairy County, Tennessee in 1871. It was originally filed in McNairy County, Tennessee; Jackson County Alabama; and Tishomingo County, Mississippi. The McNairy County and Jackson County copies were lost to courthouse fires. The McNairy County, Tennesse courthouse burned in 1881. The Jackson County, Alabama courthouse records were burned by Union soldiers in 1863. I have not yet located a copy in Tishomingo County, Mississippi.

This copy is from the recollection of John Lewis's son Joel D. Lewis, who wrote the original will for his father. It was written in 1871 for Francis A. Bryant on behalf of his wife Jane Catherine (Babb) Bryant, who was Joel D. Lewis's niece, and it is the only known copy of the original 1840 will. A transcript follows the copy of each page. 


























March the 13th 1871
Coldwater, Wayne County, Missouri

Dear Nephew & Neace

I with pleasure recieved your letter of the 12th Instant 
You wrote that you wanted me to send to you the
Conditions of my Father’s Will which I will do
I think I recollect it nearly as it was written
because I wrote it myself it read about as follows
Jackson County Alabama
I John Lewis being in health and sound in mind do
but knowing the certainty of death do
make this my last will and testament
1st I commend my spirit to Almighty God
2nd I desire my body should be decently buried
I desire that there should be sufficient sum set apart
out of my estate to educate my daughter Emily,
I give and bequeath to my son Wiley Lewis five dollars,
and give ..bequeath to my son Daniel A Lewis
one dollar. After setting apart a sum sufficient for
the education of my daughter Emily and paying
my son Wiley five dollars and my son Daniel A Lewis
one dollar I desire my estate to be divided equally between
my Dear wife Jane Lewis and my sons Wm Henry Lewis ad
Joel D Lewis and Spencer P Lewis (??? Spener P Lewis
I desire one hundred dollars less than the balance of
my heirs) and John N[?] Lewis and Celia Babb’s heirs
(naming them) and Daniel A Lewis heirs (naming them)
Except that Daniel A Lewis (heirs shall have one hun-
dred and fifty dollars less than an heirs shar) and
my daughters and their heirs Matilda Mason, Rebecca
Rice, Margaret Daughtery, Elizabeth Babb, Jane
Wardlow and Susanah Lewis and Emily Lewis,
I desire and appoint my Dear wife Jane Lewis, Wm Henry
Lewis and Joel D Lewis executors of this my last will



























and testament
In witness whereof I have herewith set my hand and
Affix my seal

Signed & sealed in presents of us this
William Daniel
James E Daniel

You wanted to know whether or not the James Daniel
at Corinth was the one signed the will as a witness
he is not, but I suppose he is a cousin as the cousin
alluded to lives some where in Mississippi,
We are all well and the connection are generally well
You say you have some who you call Joel, well
if ??? his name I know he must be a prety boy for
all my namesaks are prety,
Let me hear how you get on with your suit,
Rebecca joins me in her love to you and your
little ones,
Joel D Lewis
To F A & J C Bryant
(Exhibit A)
Filed 1st May 1871
Thos. R. Beck, C&M

John D. Lewis's will has been found in Tishomingo County, Mississippi deed records and can be read here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.