Sunday, March 8, 2015

James F. Kelly

© Kathy Duncan, 2015

James F. Kelly was the son of John Kelly of Fairfield District, South Carolina. He died in Utica, Hinds County, Mississippi without having ever seemed to marry or have children. He left his property to his brothers and his nieces and nephews. If is through his will that I was able to identify his sister Louisa W. (Kelly) Douglas and her children in Richland County, South Carolina.

I, James F. Kelly of the County of Hinds and State of Mississippi do make and publish this my last will and testament....First, I direct that a debt due Mrs. Allen amounting to about three hundred dollars to be paid by my Executors early after my death. I also direct that all my other debts be paid out of the first moneys that shall come unto the hands of my Executors form debts due me and before any division takes place. I also direct that my slaves be divided as follows, my boy Cudy's and my girl Charlotte and child to my brother Frost J. Kelly. My girl Sally and Jenny and Sally's child to my brother Obadiah K. Kelly. I also direct that my Executors pay five hundred dollars to each of my two sisters children as herein named when they arrive to the age of maturity. John James and Lemeazer Joanna Douglass, son and daughter of my sister Lemeazer W Douglass. James Wallace Pinckney Seastrunk son of my sister Lydia Seastrunk. I direct that my gold watch horse bridle and saddle be divided between my two brothers Frost J. Kelly and Obadiah K Kelly the watch to one and the horse bridle and saddle to the other. The block of goods on hand notes and accounts due for goods sold and my sorrel horse supposed to amount to about forty five hundred dollars after paying all debts due by me and Frost J Kelly about nine hundred dollars due him for a balance on his interest in the firm of J F & F J Kelly which interest was taken by me about the first day of February last, to be divided equally between my brothers Frost J Kelly and Obadiah K. Kelly. I request that my boy Cudjoe be set free at the ate of sixty years old should he live to that age and desire the same published. I do herby make and ordain my esteemed brothers Frost J Kelly and Obadiah K Kelly, Executors of this my last will and testament. In witness whereof, I, James F Kelly, the testator, have this my will, written on one  sheet of paper, set my hand and seal, this 25th day of November in the year of our Lord one Thousand eight hundred and forty three.
James F Kelly - seal
Signed and acknowledged in our presence 30th Nov 1843
Robt Jones, Thomas R. Woolley, G. W. Southwick

State of Mississippi Hinds County: Personally appeared in open Court Robert Jones & G W Southwick who being duly sworn say on oath that they saw the testator James F Kelly subscribe the foregoing and heard him acknowledge the same as his last will of testament which was done in the presence of all the subscribing witnesses and that they with the other witness subscribed. The same as witnesses thereto at this request and in his presence and in the presence of one another's and that at the time of this signing the same the testator was of sound and disposing mind and memory to the best of their knowledge and belief.
Sworn to and subscribed in open Court}  Robt Jones
this 28 Dec 1843. H. Smith Clerk}  G W Southwick
Filed 28 Dec 1843 H. Smith Clerk & Recorded Jany 10, 1844

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.