Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year - 2018

© Kathy Duncan, 2018






Happy New Year!!! Last year just flew by.

Like other bloggers I decided to recap my genealogy year. I published 39 posts. That does not sound like a lot, but each one represents research that was conducted. Some of it was new this year, and some of it represented brick walls that were broken through, like my post on discovering William Mason's father after over 40 years of searching. Given that I work full time (that includes seemingly endless hours of grading at home) and that I am a primary care giver, 39 posts was no small feat - although I have had more productive years.

Of those 39 posts, the three most popular posts of 2017 were as follows:

1. Emilia de Casias, Ex-wife of Ramon Sandoval - this was the first post of the year, and has been far and away the most popular. I'm not sure why. It details a second, unknown wife of Ramon Sandoval's and his divorce from her. It is loaded with documentation.

2. Peter Self vs. Peter Smith Self - this post details why I think Peter Self of Benton County, Tennessee is not Peter Smith Self. It includes documentation. It probably garnered page views because I shared it in a Facebook post in a community of Self/Selph genealogy researchers. 

3. William Mason's Father - this post represented my major breakthrough of the year and perhaps the decade. Spoiler - William Mason's father was Joseph Mason of DeSoto County, Mississippi!! It is also rich with documentation. 

The theme here seems to be documentation, which is another reason why there are so few posts this year. Documentation takes time to locate, analyze, and incorporate, but it is essential.

I have a small group of public followers - 36 - and an undetermined number of followers by email. I average nearly 1,000 page views a month, but have no way to know how many page views I had this year. 

In the interest of keeping it simple, I am recording today's starting page view number: 59,637. I will just do the math at the end of this year. 

May 2018 be rich in genealogy success, health, and happiness for each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.