Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Browning Duncan - Letter, 1847

© Kathy Duncan, 2018


The second letter in this series was written by Browning Duncan, husband of Rebecah W. Pettus, and suggests a tension within the family. It also indicates that the Duncans have gone from Gibson County, Tennesse to Dyer County, Tennessee, a neighborning county. Again, this letter concerns settling the estate of Rebecah's father William Pettus, who died in York County, South Carolina. Browning asked that William Pettus's will be consulted for settling the estate. He does not seem to realize that William died intestate. This letter is also addressed to John Springs, the administrator of the estate and was found in his account ledger than the York County records.





Transcription:

Dyer County, Tennessee September
the 11 1847

Mr. John Springs  Dear sir I tak my pen in hand to in form you that we are all well and hope that these few lines will find you all enjouing the same blesings Mr Springs I want you to examin fatherinlaws will and see if the cant be a division made of them yong negroes I think that there can be one made and if they cant with out two mutch expense I would be glad it could be don Samuel and ? talks of comeing out there this fall and if the cant be a division made they talk of seling the negroes and bring them to this contry and if they do I want you to attend and have good security for the apearance of the negroes at the old ladys death if they get them in there hands it will be uncertain what will becom of them I am willing to sattisfy you for your trubble and I want you to right to me as soon as you get this letter I dont expect to get any thing as long as they can kepp me out of it
   I have nothing more to right but remain your friend
Browning Duncan




No comments:

Post a Comment

I will always try to respond to your comments. If you are anonymous and cannot be reached by email and if you do not choose to follow responses to your comments, then please check back here for a response.